Re: Hot and Cold backups

From: IANAL_VISTA <IANAL_Vista_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 02:09:11 GMT

"Randy Harris" <randy_at_SpamFree.com> wrote in news:_NgBe.2624$Ih7.1220_at_newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:

> "Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message

>> >If the database had been brought down "immediate" to perform
>> >the backup, it performed a checkpoint but is not necessarily
>> >current.  It seems to me that there is the possibility of losing

> transactions?
>>
>> Shutdown immediate will rollback the transactions.  Shutdown
>> transactional will wait for them to finish.  Either may take forever
>> and can be very frustrating.  A common mistake on some versions is to
>> forget to stop the "intelligent" agent before shutdown.
>>
>> What you should be scolded for is not reading this in the fine manual
>>

> http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96521/sta
> rt.htm#6370
>>
>> jg
>> --
>> @home.com is bogus.
>> http://91x.com/media/Cantore_run_nin.mp3

> Actually, this time I did read the manual (I'm learning that lesson at
> least), and I understand the difference between shutdown immediate and
> shutdown transactional. What I don't understand is this... If I
> shutdown immediate and the uncommitted transactions are rolled back,
> what happens to those transactions? Are they discarded?

"Those transactions" are NOT a valid transaction! DML only becomes a TRANSACTION after a COMMIT is issued. If no COMMIT occurs, the DML is rolled back. Said DML is NOT a TRANSACTION; it only has the potential to become part of a transaction in the future!
UNCOMMITED DML is rolled back ALWAYS!
UNCOMMITED DML <> TRANSACTION Received on Wed Jul 13 2005 - 21:09:11 CDT