Re: Hot and Cold backups

From: Randy Harris <randy_at_SpamFree.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:37:30 GMT

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:7hnad1ps69k6cboikm8i5o29lle8okjbiu_at_4ax.com...

> Open transactions in the redologs are only possible after a shutdown
> abort.
> In all other modes all current transactions are rolled back.
> So you have a consistent database, so you don't need the online redo
> logs.
> I don't see any value in making a cold backup of a database in
> noarchivelog after a shutdown abort.
> Apart from that, to repeat HJR's words (or was it is Thomas Kyte?) 'I
> don't think a database running in noarchivelog is a production
> database'.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

If shutdown immediate is used and uncommitted transactions are rolled back. Won't those transactions be kept in the online redo logs to be processed when the database comes back on line?

PS - I understand the comments about shutdown abort and noarchivelog mode. Received on Wed Jul 13 2005 - 15:37:30 CDT