Re: Single Instance 4 Database - System is Slow?

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:42:36 +0200

captain_2010_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> HI,
>
> I have oracle 8i installed on WindowsXp and
> running one instance with 4 Oracle Database.
>
> Problem
> -------
> The system is running slow and I do not understand why it is slow ?
> Have tuned all parameters in init.ora have even increase blocked size
> still no improvement.
>
> Planning for below action
> -------------------------
> Now planning to change mode from dedicated to share mode.
> Before changing to share mode wanted to know the effects of changing
> it.
>
> Information gathered on dedicated and share mode
> Though below are the few points that have been gathered
> 1) A dedicated server only serves one session.
> A shared server can serve many sessions.
> If there are going to be a large number of concurrent sessions, use
> shared server.
>
> 2) Shared Server does two things:
> 1. It allows you to use some functionality that would not otherwise be
> available (like Connection Manager and connection pooling)
> 2. It gets around resource shortfalls by having fewer processes at the
> back end.
>
> 3) For long queries and transactions, dedicated servers will be more
> appropriate.
>
> Captain

My guess is you have a SQL Server background. You display very Windows like behavior; not understanding a bit about the product, yet poking around in it until it chokes.

One instance, 4 databases?!? Oracle8i on XP? Do your company a favor, and resign.
In your letter of resignation, explain management to hire someone that *knows* about the product.

Or go down with the ship, like a real captain.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel