Mismatching Oracle clients and servers

From: <neocide_at_gmail.com>
Date: 13 Jul 2005 03:00:05 -0700

Hi,

I know a little about Oracle but not enough about client versioning, I'm guessing this is a fairly common question, but I've had no faqing joy ;-P

We're using a now end-of-line closed source application linked against the Oracle 8i libraries and up to now this has been talking to an Oracle 8i server running on a different machine over TCP/IP. Both machines are 64-bit Sun Solaris boxes.

I'd like to replace the Oracle server which a dual Opteron machine running a 64-bit Linux and Oracle 10i.

Will the existing Solaris app linked against libclntsh.so.8.0 still communicate with the new 10i server or does the Oracle server not provide any support for previous client versions?

I have a suspicion in the past someone here installed later client versions and symlinked libclntsh.so.8.0 -> libclntsh.so.9.0 which although worked isn't ummm... an ideal solution. An alternative is to plead with the suppliers to relink it against 10i on receipt of a large electronic fund transfer :-)

Thanks.

Tom Received on Wed Jul 13 2005 - 05:00:05 CDT