Re: 8i Offline Instantiation

From: Andreas Sheriff <spamcontrol_at_iion.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:03:52 -0700

"Gripper Stebson" <gripper_at_grangehiil.net> wrote in message news:db11ge$pgh$1_at_news5.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Anyone got any experience of running offline instantiation over a
> high-latency network? My organisation is trying to do online
instantiation
> over a satellite link but it's proving to be a real drama. The dataset
> isn't really that large, so I'm not sure if we'd solve anything.
>
> Any top tips would be really helpful.
>
> Regards,
>
> Gripper

What exactly is "real drama"? Please elucidate.

Are you using the same OS/architecture?

If you're not, 'better watch out for those endians!

You might be better off exporting the dataset, using the CREATE DATABASE statement and importing the dataset on the target machine.

Are the Oracle binaries already installed on the target machine?

PS: I'm available for hire if you have an ssh connection. :-D

--
Andreas Sheriff
Oracle 9i Certified Professional

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL