Re: LOCK_SGA on Oracle 8.1.7 (win2000)

From: Heini Nolsøe <HNO_at_dlg.dk>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 14:24:39 +0200

Sorry, forgot to include this information before:

SQL> show sga

Total System Global Area 117440512 bytes

Fixed Size                   787728 bytes
Variable Size              74447600 bytes
Database Buffers           41943040 bytes
Redo Buffers                 262144 bytes

Anyway ...

Oracle9i Database and Client Release Notes Release 2 (9.2.0.2.1) for 64-Bit Windows Part Number B10694-01

references 64-bit versions of windows (windows 2003), so this does not apply to windows 2000 - have tested but didn't work.

I also have already referenced Metalink Note: 274092.1, but setting ORA_WORKINGSETMIN = 2 does not make any difference. Further more if you read Metalink Note: 46001.1 setting ORA_WORKINGSETMIN = 2 does not make any sense. Generally I am getting alot of conflicting information from different people. A good example of this is some Metalink supporters suggesting that ORA_WORKINGSETMIN has something to do with how big the windows "Page Size" is. But all of a sudden I'm reading about ORA_LPENABLE wich also does defines the windows page size. I suspect that there are different "workarounds" on different versions of windows (NT, 2000, 2003) and this is confusing people.

The whole reason for me getting involved is because I was given the task to performance tune oure databases. I have some knowledge of Oracle but am very inexperienced as a DBA. During reading trough alot of performance tuning methods I consistently came across " ... make sure the OS is not swapping to disk ...". At first I didn't think much of it because I thought windows surely would not swap if there was enough memory. But suddenly it dawned upon me that acctually windows does always use the pagefile (thus is swapping to disk). Then I got confused an went on to read about ORA_WORKINGSETMIN, LOCK_SGA and ORA_LPENABLE. I also read alot to find out how much of the oracle.exe acctually was in the pagefile. Watching the Task Manager and the Performance counters it looks like half of the oracle.exe is paged out to disk at anyone given time. This whole thing is making me worry about performance on our databases to say the least. This is why I feel like it is nessasary to lock the SGA in memory.

Anyway this article http://rootshell.be/~yong321/oranotes/WinMemUsedByOracle.txt combined with Oracle9i Database and Client Release Notes Release 2 (9.2.0.2.1) for 64-Bit Windows has made me decide to test LOCK_SGA on windows 2003. Received on Mon Jul 11 2005 - 07:24:39 CDT