Re: how to handle migrating to new database over time

From: fluff <highcharge_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 Jul 2005 15:28:53 -0700

Well there's a hint in the name of that Windows permission. Can you guess how oracle implements certain functions in OEM? Yes that's right, it apparently does them as batch jobs submitted to the OS,
and then the user whose credentials are used to login to do that must have this permission. That sounds very simple and straightforward but in real life, the customer doesn't know how OEM does stuff under the hood,
that it is using batch jobs. They just
know that they were logged into OEM, selected some task, and OEM came back and asked them for an id and password to do that task, and then the task fails with OEM saying the id and password are wrong. This is
very confusing to have oracle come back and tell you you don't know the administrator password when you obviously do. What would be a good thing
for oracle to do here is evaluate the permissions of the user id supplied
for the task at the time it asks for that information. Then it could tell
the interactive user using OEM that the id supplied lacked whatever permissions, rather than result in a misleading error message at execution time. Simple, effective, happy customer, no hours of sifting through
messages on metalink to find this out.