Question: RMAN Configuration

From: BD <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 8 Jul 2005 16:15:06 -0700

Hi all.

I am attempting to use RMAN under 9.2.0.4 to back up dbs under both 9.2.0.4 and 8.1.7.4. At this point, the two dbs are on the same physical server (AIX 5.2), but the intent is to do this across the network with one central catalog. Working across versions like this may be my error. However - assuming this is do-able, I'd like to outline the process I took with configuring RMAN, in hopes that someone can spot my error/omission.

Here's what I did:

IN CATALOG DB (9.2.0.4):
-Created tablespace, user, catalog as documented.
-Granted CONNECT, RESOURCE, RECOVERY_CATALOG_OWNER to RMAN user
-Created the catalog as documented
-Registered the current local database, with

    "rman target / catalog rman/<pwd>@CATDB"

IN TARGET DB (8.1.7.4):
-Recreated password file with orapwd
-Set REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE=EXCLUSIVE in init file, restarted
-Created user rman
-Granted RESOURCE, CREATE_SESSION, SYSDBA to rman
-Confirmed status of password file with:

select * from v$pwfile_users;

USERNAME                       SYSDB SYSOP

------------------------------ ----- -----
INTERNAL TRUE TRUE SYS TRUE TRUE RMAN TRUE FALSE

IN CATALOG DB:
-Attempted to connect, with:

  Catalog: rman target rman/<pwd>@TARGET catalog rman/<pwd>@CATDB

RESULT:
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

I've been scouring the group for threads on this topic, and am finding no further insights.

Can anyone see my error? Is it as simple rman not being 'backward compatible' between 9i and 8i?

Many thanks!!

BD Received on Fri Jul 08 2005 - 18:15:06 CDT