Re: Oracle Stored Procedures VERSUS SQL Server Stored Procedures

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 13:42:24 GMT

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 22:15:23 -0700, Noons interested us by writing:

> HansF wrote:

>> Note that Oracle supplies a whole pile of added things in the database,
>> most at no added charge.  Some examples in this category include:
>> message queueing; text indexing and search; doc indexing and search;
>> multimedia storage and retrieval; workflow; OLAP; XML.  (Yes many also
>> occur in  SQL Server.)

> Careful withthe diffs between Standard Oracle and
> EE or Personal: OLAP is not available on Standard
> in 9i. Dunno about 10g but I suspect it's the same.

You are right that the OLAP option is only available on Enterprise Edition.

However, my reading of the OLAP manuals indicates that a number of the analytic functions, such as lead/lag/rollup in SQL statements, are not explicitly listed as part of the OLAP option and *may* therefore be available in Standard. (Confirmation from Oracle appreciated!)

On re-reading, I see a potential confusion - the 'most in this category' was meant to refer to the 'whole pile of things', not 'most at no added charge'. Thanks for pointing that out.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com