Re: LOCK_SGA on Oracle 8.1.7 (win2000)

From: Heini Nolsøe <HNO_at_dlg.dk>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 10:54:22 +0200

As mentioned before I have set up an Oracle 10G database to test LOCK_SGA. Just for the record ... there is no activitiy on this database, its just sitting there with no users connected and no batch jobs running.

The system:
Windows 2000 SP4
512 MB RAM I've watched the memory usage on the computer using Task Manager and Performance counters (Start>Settings>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Performance). The Task Manager reports that the total memory usage on the system is about 450MB, wich in theory means that no swapping to the pagefile is needed. I have conducted a test by watching the memory usage on oracle.exe when changing LOCK_SGA from false to true:

LOCK_SGA=FALSE TASKMANAGER

MEM USAGE	: 156.908 K
VM SIZE		: 154.352 K

PERFORMANCE (Average)
Page File Bytes	: 158.072 K
Private Bytes	: 158.072 K
Virtual Bytes	: 251.179 K
Working Set	: 160.527 K

LOCK_SGA=TRUE TASKMANAGER

MEM USAGE	: 158.168 K
VM SIZE		: 154.544 K

PERFORMANCE (Average)
Page File Bytes	: 158.253 K
Private Bytes	: 158.253 K
Virtual Bytes	: 251.310 K
Working Set	: 161.964 K

As you can see for yourself the numbers are almost identical no matter what value LOCK_SGA has. Needless to say ... to me this is a sign of LOCK_SGA not working as it is supposed to. Received on Fri Jul 08 2005 - 03:54:22 CDT