Re: reading the oracle files

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 00:54:18 -0700

liorlew_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have recently been asked to extract a very large volume of Data from
> an oracle DB (something like 40,000,000 records).
>
> I know that there is some way to open the oracle files directly and
> extracting the Data from there (uploading). this will do it must
> faster.
>
> does any one know how to do it? I am using c and c++
>
> thanks,
>
> Lior

<LACED WITH SARCASM>
I just get a kick out of people that say "I know that there is some way to" when in truth they know nothing of the kind. And have you considered that your employer signed a legally binding agreement that does not contain an exception for you to end-run the license? </LACED WITH SARCASM>

40M rows is not a large volume. Dump them using UTL_FILE or spool to a file. You'll spend more time trying to figure out some C/C++ kludge than any competent PL/SQL programmer would spend writing it all out to a file even on the slowest disk available. In fact you've already spent more time on it than I would have.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org