Re: Oracle Stored Procedures VERSUS SQL Server Stored Procedures

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 22:51:46 -0700

jrefactors_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> I want to know the differences between SQL Server 2000 stored
> procedures and oracle stored procedures? Do they have different
> syntax? The concept should be the same that the stored procedures
> execute in the database server with better performance?
>
> Please advise good references for Oracle stored procedures also.
>
> thanks!!

A far simpler question might be "Is there anything similar between SQL Server 2000 and Oracle stored procedures. The differences are at the very core of what constitutes a transaction, the locking model, the object types available, the concurrency model, and capabilities within Oracle such as Flashback for which no similar capability exists in SQL Server ... not 2000 and not Yukon.

My recommendation would be that you purchase Tom Kyte's book "Expert one-on-one Oracle" and read, with special care, the first three chapters. Especially the discussion of multiversion read consistency.

If you wish to explore further you can download Oracle for free from http://otn.oracle.com, purchase the CD Packs for about $70 USD from http://store.oracle.com, and should visit http://tahiti.oracle.com for reference materials.

HTH

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org