Re: PHP 5.0.4 cannot use Oracle*Net on 10.2

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 02:43:47 GMT

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 02:31:32 +0000, Mladen Gogala interested us by writing:

> My database is on Linux, FC3. I know it isn't supported, I am
> not asking for support, I am just reporting a problem.
>
> This is the error that I'm receiving:
>
> Exception:oci8 error: [12154: Error while trying to retrieve text for
> error ORA-12154 ] in CONNECT(local, 'SYSTEM', '****', )

Sounds like possibly your $ORACLE_HOME/network.admin/tnsnames.ora is not set up to talk to the database the way PHP expects it to work. Or you are not getting to the right tnsnames.ora

For example - which service are you using in SQLPlus? You probably have $ORACLE_SID set up in that environment ... but it doesn't match the SID used in PHP. (Occasionally multiple tnsnames.ora are created, one per ORACLE_HOME, and the user accidently points at the wrong one.)

With the 'retrieve text' issue, it almost points at the $ORACLE_HOME not being recognized inside PHP at all (but of course, it's beta so that might be misleading)

Some troubleshooting hints (yes, they are for 9i but still valid. Or you could look up the equiv in the 10g docco)

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/network.920/a96580/troubles.htm#440455

Let us know how it resolves

--
Hans Forbrich