Re: how to handle migrating to new database over time

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 00:48:37 +0200

On 7 Jul 2005 14:18:01 -0700, "fluff" <highcharge_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>I would like to play around with importing an export from 8i (nt 4)
>into 10g (2003). I need to make sure that all the forms 6i form stuff
>will work (somehow) properly in 10g before I can switch the users over.
>I suspect it will take me quite some time to iron all that out.
> In the meantime, the source 8i database will be changing.
>So I will need to do the import again. I'm wondering what is a good
>way to handle this situation? So I would import the user's schemas but
>not sys nor system, right? Then how do I do the final import when I
>really
>want the data to reflect the current state of the old database? So then
>I would drop the schema's of the users and do the import again?

I would very much doubt whether forms 6i is compatible with 10g. After all, Forms 6i is based upon net 8.0, and net 8.0 isn't supported for 10g.
Sys contains the datadictionary, so it is never exported, and never import, as import will update the datadictionary. System is an ordinary user.
You would drop the users, and precreate them in the target database using the source database definitions, then perform export/import

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA