Re: Problems installing Oracle OID (10g)

From: ohaya <ohaya_at_cox.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 09:52:22 -0400

Laurenz Albe wrote:

> >> Oracle [used to] check for the existance of an entry in /etc/services at
> >> port 389 - if the entry existed, even if it was commented out, OiD would
> >> install using a port in the 3xxx range, beyond the '1024 privileged' area.
> >
> > I'm 100% sure that we did not remove or comment out the port 389 and 636
> > entries in /etc/services. Could this why we got the "bind failed", then
> > the Java "connection refused" errors during the OID Configuration
> > Assistant part of the installation?
>
> Maybe the installation procedure for Solaris is very different from the one
> on Linux, but if not, these are my experiences:
>
> - The OID Configuration postinstall task sometimes fails, I assume because
> oidldapd does not start fast enough. I had success when I did a 'Retry'.
>
> - About the ports, if you do not specify a configuration file for the ports
> during installation, it will take 3060 and 3131. If you want to use 389
> and 636, you have to
> a) provide a staticports.ini file with these settings during installation
> b) comment out the corresponding entries in /etc/services during install
> The installer will echo the ports it uses on stdout.
>
> - Ports under 1024 are no problem, since the root.sh you are requested to
> run as root during the installation chowns oidldapd to root and sets
> the setuid flag.
>
> Yours,
> Laurenz Albe

Laurenz,

Thanks for that info. I'm not sure if we did a retry during the attempt when I was there. I'll check on this today, but I had a feeling (a guess!) that the oidldapd was not starting at all, i.e., my guess was that was what the bind fail error was...

Jim Received on Thu Jul 07 2005 - 08:52:22 CDT