Re: 10g RAC design options

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 04:32:29 GMT

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 21:14:09 -0700, DA Morgan interested us by writing:

> Rodrick Brown wrote:

>> Currently we are using 2 x Sun Fire 15K 8 CPU_at_1.2GHz 16GB of Memory under
>> VCS 3.5 with Solaris 8, we run both nodes active-active and failover between
>> both, each node has 4 Oracle instances, if all instances try to run on one
>> node the performance is impacted severely, and this will probably always be
>> the case so scaling up is no longer an option.

> I am confused by what you have written. Are you, perhaps, confusing RAC
> with DataGuard? DataGuard has active-active but with RAC the nodes are
> either active or they don't exist.

I think he's saying that the current DataGuard-ish scenario is max'ing out and they want to start looking at RAC to get the next level of scaling.

As for economics - you have a good point about 'best value is with 2-CPU nodes'. It really doesn't matter whether the machines are Sparc-based, or any other architecture - avoiding high-CPU count SMP machines reduces the hardware cost significantly, and that savings can be applied toward the RAC licenses. After all, the application probably requires the same number of CPUs, whether in 2-CPU or 32-CPU nodes, so the Oracle license cost is pretty well the same and the cost savings comes from simpler hardware (which should be easier to administer).

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com