Re: 10g RAC design options

From: Rodrick Brown <rodrick.brown_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 04:31:28 GMT

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message news:1120709676.48281_at_yasure...
> Comments in-line.
>
> Rodrick Brown wrote:
>> Currently we are using 2 x Sun Fire 15K 8 CPU_at_1.2GHz 16GB of Memory under
>> VCS 3.5 with Solaris 8, we run both nodes active-active and failover
>> between both, each node has 4 Oracle instances, if all instances try to
>> run on one node the performance is impacted severely, and this will
>> probably always be the case so scaling up is no longer an option.
>
> I am confused by what you have written. Are you, perhaps, confusing RAC
> with DataGuard? DataGuard has active-active but with RAC the nodes are
> either active or they don't exist.

Humm not sure how you missed the point that was an example of the current environment and limitations i'm not confusing dataguard and RAC read again carefully.

> Also with RAC it would be a horrible waste of money to build with CPU
> machines. The best possible value comes from 2 CPU nodes.

My databases are pretty big and CPU intensive, has this been documented some where?

>> In another 4-6 months this environment wont be able to support the future
>> application requirements so RAC is starting to look very good at this
>> point, I'm strongly looking to go with a 4 Node 4-way x86 server w/8GB
>> of memory from either Sun or IBM, Sun is currently shipping Opterons
>> which are 64bit but I'm not sure if Linux would be a better option is
>> 64bit Linux ready for primetime? What is the status of Oracle 10g RAC on
>> 64bit x86 Solaris?
>
> Unless you have some reason to want to spend more money and get less
> performance you are, apparently without serious research, keying in on
> some of the slowest and most expensive options available. Why?

Scaling horizontally is much easier and cheaper than scaling veritcally thats the main reason why I want to do away with Large database servers and move to RAC so i'm not seeing your logic here.

>> Most of the staff is very Solaris savvy which is why Solaris looks like a
>> much better fit, I do not want to go with a sparc based solution because
>> of the high cost of Oracle licenses and slow CPU performance compared to
>> x86.
>
> Please explain what you mean by "Solaris savvy"? If they know UNIX they
> know UNIX. And yes there are minor differences between Solaris and HP/UX
> and AIX and Linux and FreeBSD but they are so insignificant that any
> competent (and I emphasize competent) staff should be able to pick up
> any other UNIX flavour with a week's training.

Wrong. Linux is nothing like Solaris, yes tons of features overlap but when it comes to finding and fixing kernel bugs and bottle necks you can easily see the difference between UNIX flavors.

> Choosing Solaris because it is what you know is like sticking with COBOL
> because it is what you know. I'd rethink this concept.

General human nature people tend to use with what they are most familiar with.

>> Another concern; uptime have been almost 99.999% over the past 3+ years
>> my current solution has been deployed, how are most people deploying RAC?
>> Do you cluster between RAC using VCS? I've read that their can be certain
>> situations where patching RAC would require every node being offline, in
>> this environment this is not a suitable option.
>
> Absolutely not. Assuming 10g we cluster RAC using ASM managed RAW. I
> can't imagine why anyone would pay Veritas for something provided by
> Oracle for free nor why anyone would choose to deal with two
> finger-pointing vendors when they could deal with only one.

See the previous quote, I can honestly say Veritas products are very stable and makes life a hell of alot easier when dealing with lots of storage and want a truly HA setup, I have no experience with ASM but about 5+ years using Vertias tools, I dont have anything against learning something new, which is why I'm posting here to see what others are doing.