Problems installing Oracle OID (10g)

From: ohaya <ohaya_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 18:04:37 -0400

Hi,

First of all, my apologies, because I know that this post is going to be somewhat vague. The situation is that I'm try to help out a friend, who's trying to get Oracle OID installed on Solaris. I spent some time with him, and just took some quick notes, so some of the info in this post may not be completely precise...

From what I could tell, we got through the installation, to the point that it tried to run the OID Configuration Assistant, but then that failed. We did some digging around, and in one log file, we found some messages saying that a "bind failed", but there was no further information about which port the bind was for.

In another log, we found a set of Java exceptions indication "Connection refused", and indicating port 389.

The OIDCA error message mentions
"oracle.ldap.oidinstall.backend.OIDCAException", but isn't really clear
abould where to look for information about the error.

My guess is that some process during the installation is failing because it is trying to bind to port 389, but is not able to, for some unknown reason. Then, some other part of the installation is failing because it then can't connect to port 389 (since that earlier process failed).

What's puzzling is that we checked, e.g., using netstat, and we cannot see any processes that are using port 389.

So, I've been doing some research on this, and ran across the following:

http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Oracle/DBA_tips/LDAP_OID_9.2.0/LDAP_1.shtml

About 1/3 of the way down that page, under "Install Oracle Internet Directory" then under "Install Phase", item #3, it says:

"If you plan on using the default ports for LDAP RFC standards, (LDAP
Port = 389, and LDAP SSL Port = 636), you may need to check that no application is using those ports AND that any entries in the /etc/services file defined for those ports (both TCP and UDP) are removed from the file before the OID Configuration process is run."

and I'm wondering if that (the port 389 and 636 entries in /etc/services) may have caused our problem?

We'll give this a try tomorrow, but in the meantime, I was hoping someone here might have done an OID installation on Solaris, and might know for sure if this is really a problem with OID+Solaris?

I've installed OID awhile ago on Windows, so this is rather puzzling :(...

Thanks in advance, and again my apologies for any non-clarity!!

Jim Received on Wed Jul 06 2005 - 17:04:37 CDT