Re: Separating data, index objects

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 09:51:48 -0700

Paul wrote:

> I'm trying to understand why it doesn't - i.e. I believe Daniel Morgan
> and I believe you that it doesn't affect performance.

I believe Richard Foote's reprise of that which he and others (Jonathan Lewis and Howard Rogers) have previously written and is in the archives should address this for you.

The fact too, as stated by Holger, is that a very substantial number of queries in Oracle never touch any table. And with IOTs, a technology that deserves far greater usage than it has, there are many situations where the concept of "read the index read the table" just isn't valid.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org