Re: Separating data, index objects

From: Paul <paul_at_see.my.sig.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 13:08:11 +0100

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:

>Separation of tables and indexes serves no useful purpose with respect
>to scalability and performance.

Forgive me for jumping in here, but *_a priori_*, it seems obvious that it *_should_* serve such a purpose.

What is the mechanism by which Oracle prevents this from happening?

Here, we are talking about tableX with indexX, but it does still make sense to separate different tables and indices to avoid contention - or is this not correct either?

Refs and URL's appreciated.

Paul...

--

plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

XP Pro, SP 2,

Oracle, 9.2.0.1.0 (Enterprise Ed.)
Interbase 6.0.1.0;

When asking database related questions, please give other posters
some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't work!").
Thanks.

Furthermore, as a courtesy to those who spend
time analysing and attempting to help, please
do not top post.