Re: ASMLib

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 6 Jul 2005 00:31:20 -0700

In case it may be useful for others, I can confirm that Metalink Note 309815.1 is incorrect for:
Linux kernel 2.4.21-27.ELsmp
ASMLib 2.0.0.1
EMC Powerpath Version 4.3.2 (build 11)
(and likely on other Linux kernels too)

The combination of ASMLib and Powerpath results in actual I/O errors
(failed I/O) and the Oracle instance receiving corrupted data blocks.

The fix:
Disable/uninstall ASMLib. Configure the applicable SCSI devices as raw devices. Chmod the raw devices so that o/s user oracle can read & write to them. Change the ASM Instance's discovery string to '/dev/raw/raw*' and start it. It will detect these raw devices and correctly use these for mounting the ASM diskgroups. No other changes are (should be) required on the ASM and db instances.

--
Billy