Re: Maximum of Columns in one table (9i)

From: Paul <paul_at_see.my.sig.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 16:51:15 +0100

"Ingo Leiß" <d.eine_at_gmx.net> wrote:

>does anyone know how many columns a single table can have with oracle
>version 9i?

Apparently it's 1000. If you use arrays and try very hard, you can probably get the effective number of fields up to at least 100.000 or even 1 million, that way your table would be very small and fast to access, right?

Normalisation 101. Tables should be tall and skinny and not short and fat!

Your car has an accelerator pedal. You *_can_* if you want to point it at a cliff and press the pedal. The car won't try to stop you, and it's within the car's spec (pedal pressed -> I accelerate), but it wouldn't be a good idea.

I once worked on a system that had 35.000 (35K) columns in a table (done by using arrays). It was a nightmare.

Paul...

--

plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

XP Pro, SP 2,

Oracle, 9.2.0.1.0 (Enterprise Ed.)
Interbase 6.0.1.0;

When asking database related questions, please give other posters
some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't work!").
Thanks.

Furthermore, as a courtesy to those who spend
time analysing and attempting to help, please
do not top post.