archiving to an archival standby database

From: rob <rob_at_dsdelft.nl>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 15:25:13 +0200

On metalink i found a note "Data Guard 9i - New archival Destinations for 9i Database"
containing the following paragraph:

<knip>

ARCHIVING TO AN ARCHIVAL STANDBY DATABASE:

ARCHIVAL STANDBY is just an instance with a controlfile and no physical database associated with it. The controlfile can be a standby controlfile of the source database or controlfile of any other database. This location is used as a repository for the archive logs.

The following init.ora parameters are used to enable this.

LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n='SERVICE=stdbV900 NOREGISTER'

Archive logs are placed in the directory specified by the standby_archive_dest.
</knip>

This sounds interesting : put a machine on a remote location which only task it is to receive archives from my production databases, no database in managed recovery but only the log transport services needed to write the archives to disk. I've looked everywhere but can not find specific information on how to set this up.

Can someone give me a pointer on how to set this up or is this note a remainder of a function that is no longer supported.

Regards,
Rob Received on Tue Jul 05 2005 - 08:25:13 CDT