Re: Separating data, index objects

From: Mark A <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 20:21:50 -0600

"IANAL_VISTA" <IANAL_Vista_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Xns9689BC4B0F899SunnySD_at_68.6.19.6...

> I read into your reply above that under certain conditions separating
> data and index tablespaces can "impact on improving the performance.".
>
> We agree that when a block is already in the SGA having separate
> tablespaces is moot.
>
> Under what reproducible conditions does "separating data and index
> objects"
> impact performance to a measurable amount (please quantify)?

If your SGA is 2 GB and your table is 4 terabytes and you are doing a mass insert on a table, where table rows and indexes are updated at the same time. I am not going to say "measurable" difference (although it could be), I just said theoretical. Some disk subsystems may be fast enough to handle it without a difference (especially those with asynchronous I/O). Received on Mon Jul 04 2005 - 21:21:50 CDT