Re: Help with intermittant slow down

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 01:26:56 GMT

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 18:55:52 -0600, Lee interested us by writing:

> Oracle interMedia....Oops! Now known as Oracle Text.

Slightly off. interMedia is the set of technologies that gives Oracle RDBMS 'internet multiMedia' capability. It still exists - includes Audio, Image and Video.

Oracle Text has a long lineage. I remember SQL*TextRetrieval from way back when ... but it was all originally done with relational tables, smoke and mirrors (as were Oracle Multi Dimensional System for GIS storage, Virage for images, etc.)

Oracle8 came along and the technologies were rewritten using Oracle's new ORDBMS capabilties. At that time the text stuff became "Oracle Context" - properly renamed as it was a total rewrite of the doc index and retrieval mechanism, with significant changes in feature set. Then it was 'merged' with the interMedia group, hence "Oracle interMedia Text", and apparently has been released to breathe on it's own under "Oracle Text". (Ditto, Locator subset of Spatial)

If you dig into it enough, each and every name change seems to have a logical reason. Many, like OPS -> RAC, are due to a fundemental change in technology (implementation) even if functionality initially appears to have changed only a small amount.

The frustrating part is simply: I need the business value of that feature; I don't need the business expense of hunting it down in this new release. And the need for feature (function) cross-reference between brand names is something I'd like to pin on marketing's forehead - as that, IMO, is the single biggest barrier in adoption of these capabilities.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com