Re: Separating data, index objects

From: IANAL_VISTA <IANAL_Vista_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 00:56:29 GMT

"Mark A" <nobody_at_nowhere.com> wrote in

> "IANAL_VISTA" <IANAL_Vista_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> "Mark A" <nobody_at_nowhere.com> wrote in
>>

>>> In theory, if the table data and index data are in the same
>>> tablespace, the disk contention could occur if there was a
>>> significant amount of I/O against the table and index at the same
>>> time.
>>
>> As a generalization the above is true.
>> However when Oracle decides to use an index, first the index is read
>> and then then table is read. So for any single transaction ( without
>> parallelization) the index & table are never read "at the same time".

> Yes that is true, and separating the two probably applies more to
> Decision Support than OLTP. But in an OLTP environment like you
> described, there could be a high transaction rate on the same tables
> and indexes, where it could make a difference.

HUH?
"separating the two probably applies more to Decision Support than OLTP." Based upon which metrics?

How in the world did you conclude what I described was OLTP & not DSS?

Assuming high transaction rate against an index, please explain how having the index in its own tablespace "it could make a difference.". After the block has been read from disk, the data will be in the SGA if it needed by another session (assuming it has not been aged out). If a different block is requested from the same table or index, what difference does it make in which tablespace it resides?

Yes, more spindles can sustain more I/O requests per second, but on a per spindle basis when the maximum rate is hit, the I/O requests start to queue.

It would be nice to see actual reproducable metrics, rather than unsubstantiated generalities. Received on Mon Jul 04 2005 - 19:56:29 CDT