Re: Help with intermittant slow down

From: Rick Wessman <Rick.WessmanNO_SPAM_at_NoOrSaPcAlMe.com>
Date: 4 Jul 2005 16:03:15 -0700

In article <1120516596.866104_at_yasure>, DA Morgan says...

>Lee wrote:
>
>>> Perhaps you didn't notice that I posted this in
>>> comp.databases.oracle.server. ;-)
>>>
>> You fooled me (or let me fool myself) by saying "....ASM issue and have
>> nothing to do with the database" , so I didnt think to look for it in
>> the Oracle world. My bad.
>> Overgenerallized "not to do with database"
>
>For those not familiar with ASM ... the reason for the confusion is
>that an ASM instance is just that ... an instance. There is no database.
>There are no datafiles or tablespaces or log files, etc.
>
>> But there are boatloads of overloaded TLA's (Three Letter Acronyms)and
>> "terms of art" with different meanings in different corners of the info
>> technology world and way different meanings in other fields.
>
>I know isn't it cool? Add to that Oracle's most important position
>C-Level position, Executive Vice President of Product Renaming, and
>you've a winning combination.
>
>Surely everyone has noticed that App Server has been renamed yet again.
>
>I'm waiting for the promotion in some trade magazine claiming 45% more
>acronyms than DB2. Oops ... a product whose name IS an acronym. ;-)
Actually, it's 60%, but whose counting. :-)

My favorite renaming story was a product that started out as Secure Network Services. When we arrived at a trade show to show the product off, there was a huge banner there that said "Secure Network Services." The problem was that it belonged to another company. Oops. :-)

It then became the Advanced Networking Option very quickly and got renamed twice after that for reasons lost to memory.

                                           Rick

--
                                Rick Wessman
                                Oracle Corporation