Re: Separating data, index objects

From: Mark A <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 17:15:24 -0600

>> Depends on your bufferpool hit ratio (which depends mostly on the size of
>> bufferpool relative to total amount of data/indexes).
>
>"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message
> What does this have to do with the OP's question? And what is the source
> of the information?
>
> Separating them has no impact on performance but makes using
> transportable tablespaces a bit more complex.
>
> Daniel A. Morgan

In theory, if the table data and index data are in the same tablespace, the disk contention could occur if there was a significant amount of I/O against the table and index at the same time.

In practice, with good design, a fair amount of the data will be in the bufferpool and not require synchronous disk I/O. Obviously, this depends on the size of the tables and indexes relative to the size of the bufferpool.

Of course, if the index and table are in separated, but still on the same physical device, then that will not do much good. Received on Mon Jul 04 2005 - 18:15:24 CDT