Re: Becoming ORACLE DBA

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 20:46:33 +0800

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 02:37:38 -0600, "Mark A" <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>
> >"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message
> >>
> >> And to aggrevate things further I wouldn't hire anyone as an Oracle DBA
> >> that didn't have at least 3-5 years as either a UNIX system
> >> administrator or as a PL/SQL developer and was very good at it too.
> >>
> >If it takes 3 years experience as a UNIX system administrator to become an
> >Oracle DBA, then there is something wrong with Oracle. I assume that this
> >does not apply to Oracle for Windows.
> >
> >But I don't think your statements are accurate.
> >

> Please dream on.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Sheesh... the poor OP just wanted to get into the world of Oracle DBA and everyone launches into him.

Sure we've got those horror stories about bad developers, bad managers, bad design etc etc, but part of being a *good* DBA is to inspire some passion about what you do so that those developers, managers, designers learn from their errors and share in your collective passion ...

Jumping on newbies and whinging about your lives doesn't sell the DBA profession well...

--
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

"Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat."