Need to examine some redo logs.

From: DaLoverhino <DaLoveRhino_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 3 Jul 2005 18:52:58 -0700

Hello. I need to examine Oracle 8.1.7 archive redo logs, but my 8 instance is screwed up. I got a 9.2.0.6 instance up, and I figure I'd try to dump the contents of it on their. (I think I saw our DBA do it once.)

Anyways, here's the command I'm using:

alter sytem dump logfile 'something.arc';

I get the following error however:

alter system dump logfile 'something.arc' *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00399: corrupt change description in redo log ORA-00353: log corruption near block 2 change 258785777 time 06/29/2005 10:29:07
ORA-00334: archived log: 'something.arc'

Now, can I get oracle 9 to dump an oracle 8 archived redo log? It doesn't look like it. Is there any options that I can use with alter system dump ... to get the information I need? One option I'd like to know, is how to have oracle dump the file and ignore the fact that it's not an archive log of the same instance where the command was issued.

Ultimately, I would like a list of object id's that would be found in these archive redo logs.

Thanks. Received on Sun Jul 03 2005 - 20:52:58 CDT