Re: db_file_multiblock_read_count

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 21:52:16 GMT

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 21:05:13 +0200, Matthias Hoys wrote:

> What would be the recommended value for db_file_multiblock_read_count for an
> OLTP database (10g) on AIX 5.2 with JFS2 (and disk devices on SAN) ?

Nobody can tell you that without knowing the specifics of your application, and hardware. Generally speaking MBRC speeds up full table scans. In an OLTP database, those are undesirable and should be avoided. On the other hand, if your database is of mixed type and you run reports on it, you can benefit from larger MBRC. As I've said, there is insufficient data for a meaningful answer

> Is tuning this parameter still useful for Oracle 10g ?

Yes.

--
You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than
you can with just a kind word.  (Al Kapone)