Re: Becoming ORACLE DBA

From: Mark A <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 23:32:37 -0600

"Mladen Gogala" <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:pan.2005.07.03.04.11.14.975709_at_sbcglobal.net...
> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 03:34:10 -0600, Mark A wrote:
>
>> So you think it does take 3 years experience as a UNIX system
>> administrator
>> to become an Oracle DBA?
>
> Yes and no. If by DBA you have in mind someone who will dispatch grants,
> add space when necessary and keep the capacity plan spreadsheet updated,
> then no, it doesn't take 3 years to learn that. If, on the other hand, you
> have in mind a person who performs complex diagnostics, analyzes apps to
> help developers and plays a politician by sitting in meetings and trying
> to point the management to right direction, without having managerial
> authority on top of that, then yes, it takes even more then that. A
> person like that is called "performance analyst" in Cary Millsap's book,
> but, traditionally, it's the role of sr. DBA. A good book to read about
> the subject is Chris Lawson's: "The Art and Science of Oracle Performance
> Tuning" by Apress Books. Cary Millsap's book is not optional, it's a
> mandatory reading for any Oracle DBA, even if he's only aspiring to the
> title.

I didn't say one can be a good Oracle DBA with less than 3 years experience. I said that one does not have to work for 3 years as a UNIX admin before becoming a DBA. Obviously, UNIX experience is needed, but it does not have to be obtained by working as a UNIX admin. And obviously it takes a lot more than UNIX knowledge to be a good DBA.

The whole point of this thread was that someone is considering becoming an Oracle DBA as a career choice. Obviously, in that case, he would have to start out at the bottom. I think it is more valuable to have some application development and database design experience, while at the same time making sure to get some UNIX experience (not necessarily having to work for 3 years as a UNIX admin) before becoming a DBA. Received on Sun Jul 03 2005 - 00:32:37 CDT