Re: Becoming ORACLE DBA

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 04:28:21 GMT

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 20:02:18 +0200, Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> When the DBA can make clear, it is not a database problem, but an
> application problem, the developers usually come up with all kind of
> silly assertions about their product, like 'enforcing integrity in the
> application server is much more efficient' and usually flatly refuse to
> repair the flaws and errors demonstrated.

That has also been my experience. There is no good solution: you either accept you role, which will diminish your value, fight it using regular channels and try to convince the CTO that it's a bad practice or update your resume and roll the dice (www.dice.com). For some reason, Java developers are people infected by abbreviations and obsessed withe the idea of "database neutral application". Those database transparency ideas are propagated in the design patterns books and many courses. In my whole Oracle career (16 years), I've never seen a successful "database independent application", unless we're talking about so called "#ifdef compatibility", which executes separate code for each supported database. Where is Spanish Inquisition when one needs them? Such ideas are a stupid heresy and propagators deserve to be burned at stake.

--
You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than
you can with just a kind word.  (Al Kapone)