Re: Becoming ORACLE DBA

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 2 Jul 2005 16:26:55 -0700

# I don't know what your background is, but my experience is that
# developers usually do all the design. That usually results in a
# database without referential integrity, and not even adhering to 1NF,

# let alone to 3NF. Obviously, there is nothing a DBA can do about
that.
# However, when the database performs poorly, invariably exactly those
# developers start blaming the DBA.
# When the DBA can make clear, it is not a database problem, but an
# application problem, the developers usually come up with all kind of
# silly assertions about their product, like 'enforcing integrity in
the
# application server is much more efficient' and usually flatly refuse
# to repair the flaws and errors demonstrated.

Many DBA's do not get involved with helping in the modeling and design phase. It sounds like Sybrand may be in that camp.

Many professionals take the challenge seriously and get involved early enough to avoid these type of design problems.

If one has the knowledge to help the developers then by all means go ahead and jump right in. It's much cheaper fixing the design early then blaming the developers later. Received on Sat Jul 02 2005 - 18:26:55 CDT