Re: Becoming ORACLE DBA

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 07:19:11 -0700

Mark A wrote:
> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message
>

>>And to aggrevate things further I wouldn't hire anyone as an Oracle DBA
>>that didn't have at least 3-5 years as either a UNIX system
>>administrator or as a PL/SQL developer and was very good at it too.
>>

> If it takes 3 years experience as a UNIX system administrator to become an
> Oracle DBA, then there is something wrong with Oracle. I assume that this
> does not apply to Oracle for Windows.
>
> But I don't think your statements are accurate.

Required ... no!
But required for competence ... yes!

Perhaps in the DB2 world when they complain that something is slow you guys and gals just start dinking around until some random act fixes things. We prefer someone that knows top, sar, iostat, vmstat, etc.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org