Re: Row level and table level constraints

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 01:39:41 GMT

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 16:24:40 -0700, Gaurav interested us by writing:

> Hi,
> Could anyone pls let me know the diff between table level and column
> level constraints as i think constraint applied to column level applies
> to table level as well.

Not a whole heck of a lot of difference ... it's more where they are defined in the 'CREATE TABLE' statement.

Even Oracle's documentation tends to refer to these as 'inline specification' (defined at column) and 'out-of-line specification' (defined after all columns, at the table level)

The only one that needs to be defined inline, according to the docco, is NOT NULL. The docco, especially the SQL Reference manual, has a lot of supporting info. For Oracle9i, check
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96540/clauses3a.htm#998196

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com