Re: Using a STANDBY database to perform backups using exp

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 1 Jul 2005 15:25:27 -0700

I recently did an export (not TTS) to capture the final data just before a major data modification (after the modification was in progress on the primary). IIRC, there was an error, 9iR2 export seemed to want to write something to the db. But since it couldn't, everything was ok, just a warning message in the log (which unfortunately is on a tape I don't have access to just now). I haven't tried to imp yet, and may never have a reason to anyway.

I did not try to put it back into recovery (I'm not using managed recovery), since I had turned off archiving for the update. But I don't recall seeing any other reason I couldn't. I have gone in and out of read-only mode, no problem. In fact, some people suggest you do that periodically just to be sure you can, just as you should try to read an exp to be sure it is ok.

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96653/manage_ps.htm#1014478

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.