Re: SAP and Oracle DG: Looking for ideas and best practices

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 18:41:04 +0200

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 16:23:41 GMT, Vince Laurent <vincelaurent_at_REMOVETHISsbcglobal.net> wrote:

>We have 2 servers with the following configuration:
>
>role server SID
>------- ------------------- ---
>primary sapsnd.ic.ssmhc.com SND
>standby sapude.ic.ssmhc.com SND
>
>I managed to get oracle data guard working to where I
>can fail sapsnd over to sapude. NOW we are trying to
>figure out how to bring SAP up on sapude. Ideas we
>are pondering include changing DNS or changing the IP
>of sapude to make it sapsnd.
>
>Someone must have done this before. What have you
>found to be best practice?
>
>Thanks
>Vince
>Come race with us!
>http://www.mgpmrc.org

Client fail over is, as far as Oracle is concerned, a matter of setting up tnsnames.ora correctly. NB: this will only work with the service_name= syntax in the connect_data clause.

Whether SAP supports this I don't know. I know for a fact, SAP forces you to consider the database as a black box.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA