TNSNames.ORA Fails after

From: robboll <robboll_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 30 Jun 2005 19:10:34 -0700

A vendor sent me a TNSNames.ORA file to access their server. One entry was production and the other was test. I was able to TNSPing the production instance but the test instance failed.

The vendor suggested that I use the Net Configuration Assistant to re-create the test instance on the TNSNames.ora file. Before I did this, I copied the original to TNSNames.bak file since at least the production instance worked.

After using the Net Configuration Assistant to correct the test instance, we still could not TNSPing the test instance. Now the error indicated that it does not recognize the host of either instance. Now the production instance fails as well! And it even fails when I use the original TNSNames.ora file that previously worked.

My question: Did using the Net Configuration Assistant hose things up?  Does it reconfigure anything else besides the TNSNames.ORA file? Thanks in advance for any tips.

RBollinger Received on Thu Jun 30 2005 - 21:10:34 CDT