Re: Failed installation of 10g on White Box Linux 3.0 x86

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 20:29:20 GMT

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:03:11 +0200, Frank van Bortel interested us by writing:

> Not all... :) Oracle identifies it as Red Hat AS 3 (but that has
> something to do with the *very* sloppy way strings are compared...
> A three anywhere is sufficient; Fedora Core 3 seems to install, too)

Not quite. Last time I checked, what is required is a '3' in the string found in the first line of /etc/redhat-release ...

Never the less, White Box Linux MUST change any reference to 'Red Hat' and to the Red Hat logo to something else to avoid copyright infringement. Ditto TaoLinux and the others.

Even if nothing else has changed, that means Red Hat and White box are not identical. Functionally equivalent, yes, but not identical.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com