Using a STANDBY database to perform backups using exp

From: <steven_nospam_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: 30 Jun 2005 10:57:13 -0700

Background:

We have an Oracle 8i site that has a replicated (standby) database using the RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE command.

We need to make a backup copy of the database into a different environment each month, and we do this by putting the primary database in READ-ONLY mode, then use the export with TRANSPORT_TABLESPACE=Y so we can copy the data from the production environment to the monthly reporting environment.

Someone suggested to us that we should look into breaking replication and doing the export from the standby database instead of from the primary. That way the production database can continue to operate while the standby database gets backed up. once done, we would simply have to apply the archive logs using RECOVER STANDBY DATABASE AUTOMATIC and then restart the RECOVER MANAGED...

My Question:

Is this concept possible? I was under the impression that once you make the standby database into a primary, any changes would make the two copies incompatible. You would then have to restore the standby database from a fresh copy of the primary, applying any missing logs.

If anyone has experience doing something similar in either the Ora8i or Ora9i product, would appreciate your insights on this. I'm more familiar with the Informix setup, which seems to offer more versatility.

TIA Steve Received on Thu Jun 30 2005 - 12:57:13 CDT