Re: Large table monthly switch design problem

From: <schonlinner_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 29 Jun 2005 07:54:25 -0700

Hi AK,

> Can you stop exposing the table altogether, granting select privilges
> to views only?

Well, basically we can do so, but it does not help. If users ask how many bookings there have been from America to Tokyo in March 2004 grouped by the airplane type used.

> Can you just create another view for your quality check team?
> That view should not include the oldest patition.

Yes, we can do that, of course. But how do we do the production switch, i.e. putting exactly that "view" online? I know, it would be easy, but look:

As mentioned before: I tested it using a view which then contained a union all over 24 tables containing the monthly data. But the performance was round about 3 times slower.

The main problems are:
1. How can we give the quality check team a chance to test the data before going into production?
2. How can we put (almost) exactly that quality checked table into production?

Best regards,
  Martin Received on Wed Jun 29 2005 - 09:54:25 CDT