Re: Oracle Java Question

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 07:00:34 -0700

Billy wrote:
> amerar_at_iwc.net wrote:
>

>>We are using a Java routine installed within our Oracle database to
>>send email.  This works fine for text emails.

> Why not use the supplied Oracle UTL_SMTP or UTL_MAIL packages? Why
> re-invent the wheel and disregard software that is bought and paid for
> and will be supplied and will work when you run code app code on a new
> Oracle version?
>

>>Does anyone know how this should be handled?

> Mime types and Internet Message Bodies. Detailed in RFCs 2045 to 2049,
> RFC 3030 and numerous others.
>

>>I do not know anything about Java,

> Java is Just Another Friggen Programming Language.. despite its
> followers claiming it to be a New Age Religion.
>

>>and, from our PL/SQL routine, we cannot send mail
>>headers......

> You could if you were using UTL_SMTP.
>
> --
> Billy

As long as we are discussing UTL_MAIL, and I like it a lot, there is one small thing about it I find: Well unsettling. It does something in the header that works in most news readers but in a small percentage displays the TO and FROM preceeded with "=?WINDOWS-1252?Q?".

Does anyone have a workaround?

Thanks.

--
Daniel A. Morgan