Re: 8k block size upgrade concern

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 06:41:13 -0700

Fabrizio wrote:

>> The default block size in Oracle should ALWAYS be the block size of
>> the operating system, as installed, unless actual testing with your
>> application and your data demonstrates otherwise.

> Sorry to intrude but I find the post a little bit misleading.
>
> The rule of thumb you are referring (the one coming from Steve Adams, I
> believe) is to match the oracle block size to the filesystem block size.

No need to apologize but that is no what I was refering to. Given that almost everyone, these days, is writing to RAM caches (Apple, EMC, LSI, NetApp, etc.) that wasn't my concern.

I believe it was Howard Rogers who, not necessarily first but often and well, discussed this here at c.d.o.server. But then I've been wrong before and may well be wrong again.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org