Re: Prespawning processes on dedicated server (8i)

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 29 Jun 2005 05:05:20 -0700

Holger Baer wrote:

> > In theory, yes. In practise, not. Or at least not with the JDBC
> > connections from app servers that I'm dealing with on a range of Oracle
> > platforms.
>
> My experience (and my understanding what a pool is) obviously differs
> from yours, so I think we both have a valid point there.

Not different Holger - but how it is practically used from app servers such as JBOSS. Or do you consider 20+ JDBC connections from an app server the norm for servicing 2 or 3 users?

> The applications I've come across build up a connection pool upfront,
> using dedicated server connections. The enduser sessions don't trigger
> new connections, and they certainly don't get closed after usage.

Well, my take is screw the app server. I don't give a sh*t what they implement and how they implement at app tier level ito connection pooling. I look after the database side. I use MTS to scale client connections as dedicated server does not scale.

That simple.

--
Billy