Re: Components of Logical database

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 28 Jun 2005 23:45:59 -0700

hafeez_splendid_at_yahoo.co.in wrote:

> i read the document and got to know something about " Connection
> Pooling ".But the main problem is that i didnt find anything about
> other parameters.
>
> I need to know " Does the size of connection pooling depends upon
> parameters like I/O reads , I/O writes ,CPU reads, CPU writes, Number
> of users, Number of concurrent transactions, type of
> application(OLTP,OLAP) .

Are you refering to MTS (Multi Thread Server) aka Shared Server?

MTS has essentially two components. The first one deals with the network connection to the client (Dispatcher Process). The second one deals with the interface into Oracle itself (Shared Server Process).

The Dispacther receives the request (TCP/IP) from the client process (front-end). It puts that onto a virtual circuit. It gets picked up by Shared Server Process in the shared server pool and processed. The response goes back onto the virtual circuit and is send to the client by the Dispatcher.

The Oracle Reference guide details the Dispatcher and min amd max Shared Server Pool parameters.

To answer your question - no, none of those items you have listed has any role on the size of the shared server pool, or the number of dispacthers.

--
Billy