Re: Prespawning processes on dedicated server (8i)

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 28 Jun 2005 23:28:47 -0700

Holger Baer wrote:

> If the application server uses connection pooling, then there shouldn't
> be constantly new connections be made and old ones closed. Which in turn
> should result in a small pool of connections.

In theory, yes. In practise, not. Or at least not with the JDBC connections from app servers that I'm dealing with on a range of Oracle platforms.

> Pooling a pool is not a good idea in my book.

Oracle itself does not care and does not know that this is a pooled connection that is established. There is *no* difference between such a connection and a "normal" connection from an Oracle perspective. So I fail to understand your concerns Holger.

--
Billy