Re: Oracle 10g ... is it solid / flakey / buggy / wonderful ... got an opinion?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:58:18 -0700

pete_usenet_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> I'm only just getting into 10g myself.
>
> I was wondering what general opinion do the folks
> in this group have of 10g? I suggest that any
> ORACLE RAC comments go in a similarly titled (but
> different) thread.
>
> In particular I ask this with respect to:
> primarily - is it solid or buggy
> secondarily - are the new DBA features useful
> (auto mem tuning, ASM, etc.)
>
> I'll bet that auto SGA tuning would be quite useful.
> As for ASM I'm on a vendor specific, super fancy,
> auto-hot-spot fighting RAID 5 and can't get off
> (wish I could), so I'm not sure it would benefit me.
>
> I welcome any comments related to Oracle 10g.
>
> Thanks,
> Pete

Very solid and quite frankly has been since the late Beta. Probably the most stable piece of software, of its size, I have ever heard of. An amazing job of testing on Oracle's part given that I think their testing of other parts of the technology stack have been deserving contempt. 10gR2 Beta similarly seems extremely good: Already.

There is nothing wrong with RAID5 provided you have an array with dual XOR engines so that you don't get the 50% performance degradation during rebuild. Check my previous posts, or ask offline, as to who sells that configuration.

Best features in 10gR1
Enhanced bulk collection and bulk collection exception handling DBMS_WARNING built-in package
Virtual indexes
For COTS Apps (Advanced Rewrite)
ORA_HASH
ORA_ROWSCN pseudocolumn
Cryptography (DBMS_CRYPTO)
Fine Grained Auditing (DBMS_FGA)
Email (UTL_MAIL)
Job Scheduling (DBMS_SCHEDULER)
DataPump
ADDM
DBMS_ADVISOR
Flashback Database
Flashback Query
Flashback Table
Recyclebin
AWR (Diagnostic Pack)

Basically a lot of the stuff Oracle doesn't talk about.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org