Re: MASSIVE degradation of insert using sequence ID's via JDBC on 9i?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:41:04 -0700

xhoster_at_gmail.com wrote:
> sybrandb_at_hccnet.verwijderdit.nl wrote:
>

>>On 28 Jun 2005 16:57:49 GMT, xhoster_at_gmail.com wrote:
>>

>>>Since when are business rules determined by the end user?  Usually the
>>>end user doesn't even know what a RDB is, let alone ACID.
>>
>>So according to you end-users don't need to be capable to rollback?

> Most of them, no. At least not with Oracle's rollback.
>

>>IMO, 80 percent of the garbage in most databases is caused by exactly
>>this policy.

> Ha.
>
> Xho

Before this turns into a religious war lets define our terms.

If end users are customers of United Airlines buying airplane tickets on the web they don't need to know the business rules. But if the application is an internal app. commissions by a department or division not only should they know the rules ... applying those rules should be their responsibility. [Backed up, of course, by sound constraint and data integrity enforcement].

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org