Re: Execute to Parse %:

From: Brian <brian_at_databaseknowledge.com>
Date: 28 Jun 2005 18:16:12 -0700

It's just annoying when v$sql has things like:

SQL_TEXT

    PARSE_CALLS	EXECUTIONS
SELECT * FROM WEB_SESSION WHERE SID = :B1 	        10410

    10410

Why? This select statement is invoked once for each web page viewing.

Or

SQL_TEXT

   PARSE_CALLS	EXECUTIONS
SELECT * FROM PATIENT WHERE PATIENT_ID = :B1         3587
     3587

There are lots of sql statements that have the same parse calls as executions. Sure the web application runs nicely (and is making money), however it's a legitimate concern that the execute to parse ratio is low. I would at least like to understand why. Maybe there's nothing that can be done, I would like to understand why. Maybe something can be done. I'm not really sure why.

Cursors get parsed because they are not found in the shared pool, right? Why would so many cursors need to be reparsed when the shared pool is 45M free? Received on Tue Jun 28 2005 - 20:16:12 CDT